The cold wind sweeps down from the northeast across the fields of Middlesex County in London. The moon shines across these fields from which the drab stone walls rise up, punctuated by gothic windows, framed by three-story tower blocks, and guarded by looming front gates that have been locked for more than 40 years.
A Victorian beast of a structure built in 1851. This facility was the largest asylum in Europe, boasting the longest single corridor, which was more than a quarter of a mile. The building itself had over six miles of corridors to house the 3500 patients in 32 different wards.
The complex was on 165 acres of rural land and was fully self-sufficient with its own farm, dairy, basket makers, and cobblers, among others... and... it had its own graveyard, which still has 2,696 people buried there.
It was originally called the Middlesex County Lunatic Asylum. Like so many social institutions of the Victorian period, it was designed to house society's castaways: the pauper insane with no place to go.
In 1993, the facility closed and the building was converted into luxury apartments under the name Princess Park Manor. During the renovation, an old ward key box was recovered from one of the nurses stations.
Inside the box were several objects such as ward keys, photos, and hospital documents, including an old patient registry. However, something unseen was also lurking inside.
Study of these objects and their subsequent demonstration of various paranormal phenomena suggest that certain "memories" may have been absorbed during the objects' years of use.
Perhaps some memories should be left alone....